Saturday, June 04, 2005

Two Drink Minimum Done?

I was told by certain individuals (who shall remain nameless) at Thursday night's Cringe Humor Show, that the standup comedy publication Two Drink Minimum has gone belly up.

2DM was an online e-zine for the longest time and decided to go to print on a bi-monthly basis. Sadly it's print run only lasted 2 issues. It was a sharp looking magazine, complete with neat photos, safe articles, & positive reviews. I loved Don Sill's writing, very cool dude who I've had the pleasure of meeting.

I asked George Sarris (of the NYC Underground Comedy Festival fame) if 2DM did indeed fold, and I've yet to receive a reply...I don't know if that's good or bad.

I've always had a love/hate relationship towards 2DM. I was rather annoyed at how the Cringe Humor name was snubbed in their first print issue. They did a huge 7 pages or so article on the Underground Comedy Festival and referred to each show by name, except mine. There was some behind the scenes drama concerning $$ at the show which I'm sure was taken into account when it went to press. I also know one of the authors of the piece isn't a huge fan of mine...Ah, the good ol' days in the Yahoo SFComedy Group.

But hey, personal politics aside, this is a sad turn of events. I never really spoke to Julie (besides being a few feet away from her on several occasions) but the intentions of her work were great.

I admit, the CH Shows were inspired by 2DM's fundraiser. After the Jim Norton Roast I sat down with Masavia (who now runs Standup NY) and told him my intentions of having a CH brand of shows. Bob Kelly sat in and suggested the Laugh Lounge as the venue, as he had a good time there doing the fundraiser. Less than a month later the first show took place.

So now who's left? The Comical! Apparently they want me to write a monthly column for them which could be interesting. The idea was proposed to me recently, but I'll believe it when it happens. I have a wonderful idea for a first piece, trashing the trendy/indy/alternative trend I see in growing in the NYC comedy scene. You know, those performers like Jessica Delfino with their emo glasses & unfunny, out-there material, pandering for laughter in the Luna Lounge...ok I'll save it for the piece.

1 Comments:

Blogger cringehumor said...

the piece i have in mind would mainly poke fun at the "indy" comic culture. their ways of hipster thinking, their behavior, etc

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home